1. Make sure you meet the minimum requirements
The minimum requirements can be viewed at the bottom of our Steam Store page.
2. Reduce the visual quality
In the in-game settings menu, reduce the visual quality to "high performance".
3. Make sure all your drivers are up to date
- Make sure your graphics driver is fully up to date. If you have an NVidia GeForce driver, try using GeForce Experience to automatically update your graphics driver.
- Make sure you have the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributables installed.
- Make sure you have DirectX 9.0c installed.
4. Opt out of any BETAs
A Hat in Time currently has an opt-in modding support BETA available. If you are participating in any betas, please opt out and retry.
5. Try running the game on a different machine
This is a last resort, but worth a try. It might help identify what is going wrong. If you're on a laptop PC, try running the game on a desktop PC.
6. If the game continues to perform poorly...
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are feeling frustrated by the game's performance at this point, and we are unable to help, please consider getting a Steam refund. There is no shame in getting your money back if the game won't run. We'll continue to investigate your issue if you have emailed it to us, and will let you know once a solution is available.